Thursday, November 11, 2010

Parents Vs Grandparents

Scene 1:
25 years back, I cry.

Dad: Calls his wife and asks her to lift the baby.

Now, my son cries.

Grand dad: Lifts the baby, calls his daughter, and shouts at her for making the baby cry.


Scene 2:

25 years back, my dad leaves for office. I run towards him and shout “Tata, Bye Bye”. Dad thinks I am crazy and asks me to study!

Now, the grand dad waits for 5 minutes for the baby to move his head from left to right, wishes him good bye, and leaves for office.


Scene 3:

For the past 25 years, dad calls me ‘Paapu’.

Now, the grand dad calls ‘Paapu’, I run to him and find that he is speaking to the baby.

I can give you many more instances. But I stop here since I am sure you would have understood that I am no more the ‘kutti’ in the house. :( Oh no! I do not want to grow up. I totally understand what my (elder) brother would have felt all these years when he accused my dad of being partial to me.

And what about grand mom you ask? Very simple! The following two sentences are repeated often.


When I accept her opinion, you will hear “This is what I did when you were young. That’s why you are good today.”


When I differ from her, you will hear “This is what I should have done with you were young. That’s why you are like this. (said in a tone which means I do not deserve to be at home. :) )”


My son is fortunate to have such wonderful grand parents. I envy him sometimes!

6 comments:

  1. touch wood. may all this love always stay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My personal observation - All Thathaa's are always 1 inch closer to grandsons (esp daughter's kids) than to their granddaughters and Paattis vice versa.
    Enjoy Motherhood !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes those were the days in pujnabi they says ki

    Soot nahlon Wayaz jayada pyara :)

    meaning that interest on principle is more lovalble .. principle being you and interest meaning your Son ..

    I hope you get the point what i am making :)


    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heeeeeeeeeeeey.. Good one Brindhu..

    Cheers,
    Kamala

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Bikram - ha ha... True :)
    @Kamala - Thankoo..

    ReplyDelete