Thursday, December 24, 2009

Mahalakshmi and Saraswati (M.S)

The month of "Margazhi" remains special to most of Madrasis (or Chennaites) and I am no different. Though I am in Bangalore for the last 6 months, I have not missed Chennai life much. May be I travelled often to Chennai. Or may be balancing work and home has not given me time to think on these lines. But last few days everyday as I open the door, I miss Chennai.


I miss the rangoli, the smell of coffee, the suprabatham by M.S amma (M.S. Subbulakshmi) followed by Thiruppavai, Thiruvempavai and Thiruppalliyezhuchchi, the retired Mamas accompanied by Mamis in traditional dhotis and 9 yards saree, the Pongal from temples, in short the divinity in Chennai air. In Bangalore I can listen to only M.S. amma's songs.


There are very few people who make you feel elevated looking at them as if they are taking you to a calmer world. M.S. is one of them. M.S. to me is a combination of Goddess Saraswati and Goddess Lakshmi. Every time I see a picture of her, I feel there is a divine power in her and the divine power flows in her voice. No wonder that people thought her as "new Meera", after seeing the film Meera.


The days when I wake up at 5 AM and listen to the suprabatham, my mind is at peace. I get energized and I feel the presence of God more than any other time. The feeling gives me the needed motivation to face the day and be successful. Like most of the people in Chennai, I also love listening to "kurai ondrum illai" (Translation: "No regrets have I") in the magical voice of M.S. Irrespective of whatever problems I face, listening to the song gives you a sensation that He will take care of all your problems and you are set free.


In her own words - "if one sings with sincerity and devotion, such music has the capacity to move the audience to divine experience, irrespective of their religious beliefs, their language and the countries to which they may belong". Well, she definitely knows what she is speaking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment