Monday, August 10, 2009

The film that reminds me of Fountain Head

Inspired from this post.

Reading the last paragraph on Tamil films that reflects Ayn Rand's Objectivism, I am reminded of "Velli Thirai" (Translation: Silver Screen) which is a close resemblance to Fountain Head. I have seen the film more than 5 times and every time I am in love with the characterization of the hero. In the points below, I have provided my reflections on the film.

  • Saravanan – An aspiring director, confident of his stories and scripts and is not willing to compromise. I believe his characterization is based on Howard Roark.
  • Mythili – A heroine who meets Saravanan as a assistant director and falls in love with him. She marries him later. At one stage she realizes she is becoming a burden for Saravanan and leaves him so that he can concentrate on fulfilling his dreams. Doesn't it remind of Dominique?
  • Kannayan – Saravanan's roommate. An aspiring actor. He realizes that for him to become a big actor, he has to write a strong story and make him the hero of the story. So, he steals Saravanan's story and claims it to be his story. He finds a producer who produces the film and makes him the hero of the film. Yeah, reminds me of Peter Keating.

And here is the best of all.

At one point, Saravanan directs a film in which Kannayan acts as the hero. Because of ego clashes, Kannayan refuses to continue the film. To complete the film, Saravanan uses his intelligence and with the help of few of his friends, fools Saravanan and captures his real life emotions and uses it in the film. I am again reminded of the scene in Fountain Head, where Roark uses his intelligence and designs a project for Peter Keating.

PS: I have not seen the Malayalam original version of the film or the English film from which the story is inspired.

Bindhu!!

No comments:

Post a Comment