Thursday, August 13, 2009

Ponniyin Selvan – My first novel experience in Tamil

Two months back, as I was getting ready to move out of Chennai, I wanted to buy a book in Tamil. I think I was getting emotional and wanted to carry a few things that will make me feel at home. J So, on the day of travel, as I was waiting in the station, went to Higgin Bothams and got a copy of the popular Tamil novel, Ponniyin Selvan.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book. When I read an English novel, I would normally get bored at those sections where they describe the country side and the locations, because I cannot visualize it. But reading PS was such an enjoyable journey.

I consider myself fortunate and blessed to have spent a few days of my life at Srirangam. I treasure those days. The days when I used to get up early, help my athai (aunt) in picking flowers from trees and making a garland, listen to my cousin playing Violin, spend time with river Cauvery, visit Ranganathar temple and involuntarily cry L, visit the market on Sunday with my cousins, apply mehandi at hands and endlessly listen to devotional songs – wonderful memories. Those look like a distant world now.

The character I loved in the book – It has to be Alwarkadian Nambi. I have listened to the fight between the devotees of Lord Vishnu and Lord Siva all my life and could enjoy the character of Nambi so much. J

I am happy I bought the book, against the advice of my father who thought I will never complete the book because of my proficiency difficulty in Tamil. The book literally took me to another world, a world which I enjoy totally. It has strengthened my wish to settle at Srirangam later in my life.

Bindhu.

No comments:

Post a Comment