Wednesday, February 15, 2012

What a hectic week it was!!!

Last week could easily be described as the most stressful week I had. This is what happened…

On Saturday, I went to give the usual vaccination to my baby. I told my pediatrician that my boy (lets call him AK from now on… I realized that I have never referred to my baby in blogworld with a name. How stupid can I be!!!) does not speak in words yet and also does not respond when his name is called… That triggered everything. Since all along, his milestones were delayed the pediatrician asked me to take AK to a neurologist so that we can get an analysis done. He wanted to check if AK had attention deficit disorder. So, I fixed an appointment on Wednesday with the neurologist.

On Wednesday I go to the neurologist hospital only to see babies and children with various physical ailments. God, it was tough - To see such babies and their parents and also the doubt that whatif something is wrong with my child. The doctor thought AK was hyperactive and wanted to get an EEG done. The technician asked us to bath the baby in the hospital with a shampoo since EEG requires that the hair should be free of oil. It was already 2 p.m. We decided to come the next day to take the EEG.

On Thursday, we went to take the EEG. While waiting I realized what EEG was. They place various sensors in baby’s head and try to record the brain’s signals. It was just tough to see AK with so many sensors attached to his head. Though I think I put up a strong face before my MIL and my husband because they were almost in shock, I was crying inside. An hour or so later the doctor saw the report and confirmed my baby has ADHD (attention deficit hyperactive disorder). It means he does not concentrate on what is happening around him. His concentration level is low and his hand-eye coordination is poor. The doctor suggested an ayurvedic tablet for two months and asked me to take AK to a psychologist. I met the psychologist the same day and she wanted me to come the next day.

On Friday, the meeting with psychologist happened. She observed my kid and then confirmed the things that doctor had told me. She said I need to bring AK to her for a month of infant stimulation therapy, which will help him in concentrating more. The therapy actually involves making the baby play with a few toys so that he can sit at one place for some time. This is the first step which will improve concentration. Then there is visual stimulation in which the baby follows various light sources. Then they leave the baby to play for a few minutes in bed surrounded by balls.

I took AK for the therapy on Saturday and he seemed to like it. The psychologist also asked me to do the same things at home. I will have to make him sit at one place for 5 minutes every half-an-hour which is a challenge given that he does not play with any toy for more than a minute. She also asked me to change AK’s attention in case he looks at the floor for long time. Simple things like that had to be taken care.

Which means I have to just be with him and take care of him 24 hours. So, I have taken a break for one month from office. I totally appreciate the kind souls at office who understood my situation immediately and granted me leave without many questions. So, from tomorrow I am at home. I plan to record the happenings of the next one month daily so that I have clarity on what exactly is happening. So, you can expect a post everyday…

I have so much more to say. But since post is already long, I will take those to the next post.

Finally, my heartfelt thanks to all those who extended your support in last post! God bless you all…

Good night

5 comments:

  1. many many hugs, Bindhu! take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm short of words. i hope things look up soon. many hugs. do email me if you want to talk...i might not be able to say much to calm you, but i can at least listen. take care. much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks T! There is enough positivity today seeing AK respond. :)))

      Delete