Thursday, October 15, 2009

Achievement and Success

"My mother drew a distinction between achievement and success. She said that achievement is the knowledge that you have studied and worked hard and done the best that is in you. Success is being praised by others. That is nice but not as important or satisfying. Always aim for achievement - success will follow."

Helen Hayes
1900-1993, Award Winning Actress

I just love this quote. How true is it. Sometimes even when you are not at your best, others praise you. Does that make you happy? Not me. And sometimes you give your best effort, and you are on the losing side. Does that make you feel bad? Yes but only for a few minutes. But then you realize you have fought well and that gives you satisfaction.

Set your own goals and standards................. and judge results yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Set your own goals and standards................. and judge results yourself.

    I am a staunch believer of this! I don't think competition is good for us, unless we compete with ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly... IHM!! I just hate when people compare me to others. So, compare your current performance with the past and see how much you have improved!!

    ReplyDelete