Friday, October 9, 2009

CEO Speak…

This week I had a chance to listen to the CEO of my company speak. If I say I was glued to him - that would be an understatement. It's been a long time since I have heard someone speak so very confidently and with so much authority. He was on the money, no mincing words.

As with every company, the last year has been tough for my company too. There were less projects, job cuts and change in policies to reduce operating costs. All this meant there was no growth last year. And hence just as we sense that the market will open up, the CEO meets every leader in the company and conveys his message absolutely clearly.

Few of the points that impressed me are:

  • Employees who did not perform were sacked. (This includes SVP and VP). I don't think there was any need to touch this point. He could have bypassed it.
    But he did not.
  • Jobs with multiple roles and not being accountable for any will be removed. Clear emphasis on performance. There will be performance based appraisal.
  • The company is divided into four divisions. There should be no employee belonging to more than one division.
  • Senior leaders of the company are also rated every quarter on different aspects.

He was successful in infusing his priorities in everyone's mind and the message is absolutely clear - He means business.

No comments:

Post a Comment