Friday, October 23, 2009

Voice of the Heart

I am an instinctive person. Everything in my life is decided based on the voice from the heart than head. I choose my friends based on my instincts. In the first few minutes that I speak to a person, I know the level of bonding I will have with the person.

Similarly, when I perform an activity, I know if it will be successful or not. I know from my heart that the output will be good. Don't get me wrong. I am not saying I feel EVERYTIME. But some days I can feel it more than other days. I am not sure how I am able to feel it. May be because in school days, I loved being alone and speaking to myself that I hear the voice inside me even now. I am not sure.

Every time I am confused, I listen to my heart. To quote a few instances,

  • When I saw P for the first time, I knew he will become my close friend. Today, all I can say is I am just so proud of myself to be his friend.
  • Mine was an arranged marriage. But even before I met my husband and his parents on the scheduled day, I knew that the alliance will be finalized. And today, I am happy that I listened to my heart.
  • A year back, when I was asked to work from a client's location, my dad wanted me to reject the offer. But I listened to my heart and accepted the offer. And those days were so crucial in bringing peace to my mind.

If you are wondering, why such a post, let me tell you the feedback I received last week.

Someone told my current lead –

"Whenever she asks a question to you and if the answer does not convince her, she will never some back to you. She will complete the work herself."

I have to say – That's a pretty good assessment of who I am. But, unfortunately I am not able to accept to it fully. It's more like this.

"If I speak to you and if I am not comfortable with you or your answer, I would never come to you for anything."

Because sometimes I am happy with an honest answer. It can be "I don't know". I respect the honesty. But if I see someone beating around the bush and wasting my time or using inappropriate words or disrespecting someone or correct answer in a wrong tone, I am sure I would never go back to him.

How about you? Do you listen to your instincts? Let me know.

6 comments:

  1. Thinking...


    I think I sometimes do listen to my instincts... but Bindhu how will we do anything without trusting our judgement, no matter how we arrive on a conclusion, in the end some amount of instinct is involved...
    I read a crime fiction (in Reader's Digest, ages ago) where a woman feels something was wrong with this guy offering her help, she just acted on her instincts and her life was saved. Later it was analysed that her instinct was more of very sharp, lightening speed analysis... she noticed he was being too helpful and familiar, she noticed he was closing all windows (with some other pretence) - according to the article, Instincts are our extra fast moving thoughts - like you know it's wrong but don't get exactly why you conclude that...

    Wonder how accurate that is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IHM - You know what. there is a theory behind this. Though not sure how much of it is proved.
    Its like this... just like everything in life, sound judgement is also perfected by practice. So, once you start observing things and start making decision, however simple they may be, it becomes a practice and is stored in subconscious memory.

    And since instincts arise out of subconscious mind, they tend to act very fast...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I think that's how it works! And being able to practice and improve makes me feel good, because it's not something that isn't in your control! It can be worked on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah. I believe this theory came from examining sports persons. Because they react in split seconds.

    yup... Practice makes you perfect...!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have not really thought about this...i wud like to say i do follow my instincts..but i don't know..maybe i shud pay more attention from now on :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Titaxy: from your blog, i get a feel that you are an instinctive person...:) Observe and Let me know if I am right!!

    ReplyDelete