Monday, October 19, 2009

Powerful weapon :)

I had traveled to my in laws place to celebrate Diwali. I was sure there will be quite a few charges against me. So, I was mentally prepared to remain calm for anything that I may have to encounter. I had to really choose a strong weapon which will safeguard me against any opposition. And I chose this.

Let me tell you – this is truly a powerful weapon. Few instances of its usage are given below.


When someone hinted me to quit my job and "take care" of the husband, my reply was ":)"

My actual reply was – "Oh I did not know that to take care of someone you have to quit your job. Pardon my ignorance. So, will my husband also quit his job? Because I assume it's also his responsibility to take care of me."


When someone told me that I am not telling them any good news, my reply was ":)"

My actual reply was – "Oh am sorry, I forgot to say today is Diwali. Will that categorize as good news for you?"


When someone told me that the quantity that I cook is less and hence my husband is weak, my reply was ":)"

My actual reply was – "Oh is it? I did not realize. From now on, I will consider that I have two husbands and will cook for three. Will that solve the problem?"


When someone told me that I do not get involved in all the matters of the family, you know what I would have replied.

My actual reply was – "I do not consider your family as mine and please do not consider mine as yours."


Trust me, after sometime I got so used to this that when the dog (my in laws have a dog at home) barked at me (NO PUN INTENDED :)), I did this :) to the dog.

And the weapon worked so well that I really did not get tensed at all and seriously I started enjoying this game so much.


I am indebted to my in-laws for teaching me this game. :)

5 comments:

  1. beautiful... i myself discovered this secret weapon way useful over the last week... have to learn it the hard way ;)and again :)
    Gayathri (dont have any sign in so anonymous)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey.. long time... Hope u doing well..!! Trust me it is fun...!!

    On a serious note, there is no point in replying to some of these. Absolute waste of time. so better enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh Bindhu I loved your unsaid responses. I guess smiling is a practical option when you are faced with such strong unreasonable 'I know better than you/let em teach you how to better yourself/ and you young women need to learn how to ....'

    I feel strongly about the family comment.

    Q - So all married people must consider her spouse's family their own?
    Ans - No, only the female married people are required to do this.

    Q That sounds unfair and unreasonable, and a little impossible... how can a girl love anybody's parents more than her own parents?
    Ans An Indian girl accepts them as her own parents. That's their duty, sanskar and dharam and values, and upbringing and destiny...

    Q And Indian boys?
    A Good and responsible sons take care for their own parents, they put their parents before their wife and family.

    Q But then who takes care of the girls parents?
    Ans If there is an emergency than the husbands' family allows her to visit them...

    Q Oh so wife is also expected to allow the husband to care for his family in an emergency?
    Ans ....

    I have been reading such posts recently - this being the Domestic Violence Awareness Month - so excuse the long comment Bindhu!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The saddest part IHM happens, when the girl is the only child. And you will listen to comments saying - You got married knowing that ur mom / dad have to be alone... It hurts so much...!!

    And i think this is the root cause for other problems like dowry, not wanting girl babies, etc.

    Never mind the long comment. I just love your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harish SwaminathanMay 18, 2010 at 10:32 PM

    Subtle statements written neatly.. Of course, Variety is the Spice of Life..!

    ReplyDelete